Mini Orange Scones
I love to paint and after 5 months away, tomorrow morning, I will join my ladies and get back to my regular painting group. Anyway, I figured it would be nice to have a little treat to share with everyone over tea break. I had a whole bunch of oranges left over from this week’s groceries and so I decided to create something orange flavoured so that they wouldn’t go to waste.
Ingredients List: (Makes about 24 small scones)
- 1 3/4 cup of flour
- 4 tsps of baking powder
- 1/4 cup of white sugar
- 1 tbsp of orange zest (about 2 small oranges)
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup of cold unsalted butter (cut in small chunks)
- 1/2 cup of orange juice
- 1/4 cup of sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp of milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (for glaze)
- 1 tbsp of orange juice (for glaze)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line your cookie sheet with wax paper.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, orange zest and salt.
- Add the butter and mix until the mixture is crumbly with small chunks.
- Add the sour cream and orange juice and blend lightly. (Don’t overmix or you scones won’t be as moist as they could be.)
- Flour your counter or cutting board and roll scone mixture into a ball. Break into small pieces and form into smaller balls (any size you fancy will work). Flatten onto your cookie sheet.
- Whisk together your egg and milk and lighty brush your scones. (if you don’t have a brush you can use your fingers like i did). Bake for 12 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- While your scones are baking mix together your glaze until smooth. (if it’s too thick ass more juice until you have a nice smooth texture.) Once your scones have cooled drizzle lightly.